About 150 people from The Hobbit production left Nelson Airport after filming in the area for a week. A crew member let slip that the group filming at Takaka Hill at Canaan Downs was The Hobbit’s “second unit.” According to him, “The main unit goes through first – we’re sort of like the mop-up crew.” As stated by the Nelson Mail, the crew worked grueling hours, from 4:30am to 7:00pm every day for six days. The same crew member said that the second unit would be joining the main unit in Dunedin, but that Nelson locals were “bound to” have some celebrity sightings when the main unit returned to the area in December.
- Join Our Fellowship!
- J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Hobbit
- Contact Us
Movie NewsPosted by Lily Milos on November 20, 2011 at 9:21 am
Author: Lily Milos Lily’s first experience with Tolkien was when the eccentric Mrs. H performed all of the characters from The Hobbit in her seventh grade class. In high school, she felt obliged to decline a second date with a boy who said he had no interest in reading The Lord of the Rings. In college, she unwisely decided to reread her beloved copy of The Hobbit during finals week, with only semi-disastrous results.When not writing for Middle-earth News, Lily tries not to unnerve her coworkers and family with her extreme geekery, but somehow, Star Wars, Star Trek, Sherlock, Merlin, Doctor Who, The Princess Bride, Back to the Future, superheroes, Disney movies, and of course, Tolkien, seem to have relevance in EVERY conversation.
- Hobbit Film Crew Arrives at Takaka HillNovember 12, 2011
- Nelson: There and Back AgainApril 4, 2012
- ‘Hobbit’ Holiday in NelsonApril 3, 2012
- Bad Weather Forces “Hobbit” Crew to Move from NelsonDecember 14, 2011
- Join us this Saturday at 7pm EDT for the last live tweeting of our #6wkMMM and you may win a @WetaWorkshop giveaway… https://t.co/cKvO7Wb26o13 hours ago
- This is the final week of #6wkMMM! Ready for ROTK? Join us Saturday at 7pm EDT for the live tweeting… https://t.co/9suJLnARkmApr 25, 2017
- Gimli the Dwarf on Uruk-hai statue now available from #WetaWorkshop! https://t.co/iMO2oJ3mwG #LOTR https://t.co/1BMn6PQNHnApr 24, 2017
- RT @5ed9cdac9dd4424: @MiddleEarthNews My beloved collection. Got every book twice, Czech/English #NationalBookDay https://t.co/hgJ2wL6xWPApr 23, 2017
- RT @Ceillimiss: @MiddleEarthNews These are sacrosanct. No one touches them but myself. They are treasures. https://t.co/5HVZCdhZWyApr 23, 2017