Year 2942 – The Hobbit
- Bilbo, Gandalf and Beorn finally arrive at Beorn’s house
Year 3019 – The Lord of the Rings
- Attack by Wolves in the early hours
- The Company reaches the West-gate of Moria at nightfall
- Gollum begins to trail the Ring-bearer
- Night in Hall Twenty-one
- The Bridge of Khazad-dûm, and the fall of Gandalf
- The Company reaches Nimrodel late at night
[…] when there came a great noise: a rolling Boom that seemed to come from depths far below, and to tremble in the stone at their feet. They sprang towards the door in alarm. Doom, doom it rolled again, as if huge hands were turning the very caverns of Moria into a vast drum. Then there came an echoing blast: a great horn was blown in the hall, and answering horns and harsh cries were heard further off. There was a hurrying sound of many feet.
‘They are coming!’ cried Legolas.
‘We cannot get out,’ said Gimli.
With a terrible cry the Balrog fell forward, and its shadow plunged down and vanished. But even as it fell it swung its whip, and the thongs lashed and curled about the wizard’s knees, dragging him to the brink. He staggered and fell, grasped vainly at the stone, and slid into the abyss. ‘Fly, you fools!’ he cried, and was gone.
[The Fellowship of the Ring, Book 2, Chapter 5: The Bridge of Khazad-dum]
- The Company comes to Caras Galadhon at evening