Ever since it was announced, fans of J.R.R. Tolkien have been buzzing about the upcoming publication of Tolkien’s translation of the epic poem Beowulf. It didn’t take long for the not-yet-released Beowulf: A Translation and Commentary to climb to the top of Kindle’s epic poetry Best Seller list.
Our readers wanted to know: “Will it be in alliterative verse?” “Are the ‘commentaries’ new, or are they the same essays found in Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics“?
Luckily, the wait will soon be over! The book will be published in the United States on May 22 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Even more luckily, one Middle-earth News reader will be able to win a free copy!
How To Win
All you have to do to be eligible to win is leave a comment on this article explaining why you need Tolkien’s Beowulf in 25 words or less.
- Only one winner will be chosen.
- Only one comment per reader will be accepted.
- Comments with profanity will not be eligible and will be removed.
- Comments must be 25 words or less to be eligible.
- Submissions will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on Thursday, May 22.
The winning comment will be chosen by the Middle-earth News staff and will be announced on Friday, May 23.
Thank you to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for making this giveaway possible!