Welcome to day 4 of Feast Week! In The Lord of the Rings, September 25 is the day the hobbits arrive at Farmer Maggot’s.
“In a short while fourteen sat down to eat. There was beer in plenty, and a mighty dish of mushrooms and bacon, besides much other solid farmhouse fare. The dogs lay by the fire and gnawed rinds and cracked bones.” – The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 4: A Short Cut to Mushrooms
This day is also when the conspiracy is unmasked and the hobbits bathe and sing in the house at Crickhollow. To really get into the spirit of Feast Week, feel free to take a nice hot bath and sing one of Bilbo’s favorite bath songs.
I made a few dishes for my meal: roasted potatoes, roasted delicata squash, and mushrooms with bacon because what hobbit dinner is complete without mushrooms?
Potatoes aren’t exactly required for Farmer Maggot’s Feast but you know, taters for life.
The recipe is fairly simple:
- wash potatoes
- cut them up into small pieces (I used two large potatoes)
- toss them in a bowl with minced garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil and mix until the potatoes are evenly coated
- place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour
- flip halfway through
- I mixed in some chopped parsley after I took them out of the oven
With fall slowly approaching, I figured squash would make a great addition to the meal.
- wash the two delicata squash
- cut in half and scoop out the seeds
- cut about 1/2 inch wide slices
- place on a baking sheet and drizzle on about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- season to taste
- bake at 400 degrees for about 30-40 minutes and make sure to flip the slices every ten minutes
Mushrooms with Bacon
- fry the bacon (I fried 5 slices) until slightly crispy
- take out the bacon and take out the grease (or keep it in the pan if you want)
- in the same pan you cooked the bacon, add in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- place the cleaned and sliced mushrooms in the pan
- season to taste
- sauté until the liquid evaporates
- add in the chopped bacon and continue to sauté for a few more minutes
Hope you’re all having an amazing Feast Week! Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to relax and dig in!